The Thai Silk Company Founded in 1948
 
     

In late 1948, Thompson established the Thai Silk Company Limited. It was important to him that the controlling interest in the company was held by Thai nationals. When the company was incorporated, selling 500 shares at $50 each raised an initial registered capital of $25,000. Out of the shares sold, 51% were owned by Thai citizens and the remaining 49% owned by foreigners. By 1967, the company's turnover was approximately $ 1.5 million.

In 1949, Charles Baskerville, a friend of Thompson's brother and a famous painter from New York was among Thompson's guests visiting in Bangkok. Baskerville had a wide circle of prominent friends and clients many of whom were international celebrities including Diana Vreeland, a fashion editor. When he left Thailand, Baskerville carried a large supply of silk.